Optical Super Resolved Imaging and Fluorescent Microscopy For Outstanding Graduate Students
1/7/2018 - 26/7/2018
Faculty of Engineering, Department of Electrical Engineering
The summer program of the Department of Electrical Engineering at the Faculty of Engineering allows graduate students to acquire an extensive academic experience in a vibrant social and cultural environment at Israel’s most advanced department of electrical engineering. The program centers around one core course carrying 4 academic credits.
Target audience and requirements
- Bachelor's degrees (BE, graduate in engineering, BArch, BTech, BSc) graduates
- Potential for advanced studies (MSc. or Ph.D.) level
- Required prior knowledge: Introduction to optics course (with final grade of at least 80)
- CV including list of courses, syllabus and final grades and two recommendation letters must be applied
- Good level of English (Ability to read and write)
Acceptance to each academic course is dependent on approval of prerequisites by Bar-Ilan.
Notice: Excellent graduate students (MSc, PhD) are invited to apply.
1/7: Orientation day.
2-5/7, 8-11/7: Advanced fluorescence techniques.
15-18/7, 22-25/7: Super resolution techniques.
12/7,19/7,26/7: One day a week enriching contemporary Israeli studies visiting study tour.
Total: 104 academic hours, 4 credits.
The field of super resolution relates to the effort of developing various approaches to exceed the limitations of existing imaging system without changing its optics or its detection array and while allowing resolving finer spatial details. In this course we aim to teach large variety of super resolving approaches presenting significant improvement in spatial resolving capabilities in the transversal as well as in the axial (extension in depth of focus) dimensions. The proposed approaches to be taught involve time multiplexing, space multiplexing, wavelength multiplexing, geometric super resolving concepts and others. The teaching of the super resolved concepts will include approaches relevant for remote sensing as well as approaches for near field imaging dealing also with fluorescent nanoscopy- PALM, STORM, STED and structured illumination microscope.
At the end of the course, each student need to give a short talk. During the morning (8-10 AM) 2 hours English course will prepare the students for this mission
Topic Covers include among others
- Space bandwidth product adaptation technique
- Optical super resolution exceeding the aperture limitation by usage of time, space, wavelength and angels multiplexing.
- Near field optical super resolution.
- Nanoparticles based nanoscopy.
- Time-Domain and Frequency-Domain Lifetime Measurement (including hands-on Lab).
- Fluorescence-Lifetime Imaging Microscopy and Anisotropy (including hands-on Lab).
- Metal-Enhanced Fluorescence (including hands-on Lab).
- Surface Plasmon-Coupled Emission.
Admissions & Cost
Full Scholarship for outstanding candidates from China and India!
Under a unique Israeli Council of higher Education Sponsorship, excellent students from China and India will receive a scholarship covering full tuition costs for the program, including housing in Bar-Ilan's village near by Tel-Aviv, daily lunch and supper at Bar-Ilan cafeteria (5 days a week).